Re: firewall mods/need help

To: "mgb-v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: firewall mods/need help
From: "Frank van Dalen" <frank.vandalen@fae.storkgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 10:04:09 +0200
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
I used a stock RB firewall section to convert my '68 CB. I also used a RB
steering column & universal joint and RB cross-member from a RH drive car. I
first modified the firewall and installed the steering column. I then had
the original steering shaft extended by about 11 cm. I cut off the steering
rack brackets from the cross-member, jigged up the rack in its proper place
with new brackets bolted to it, and then welded the brackets to the X-member
(I needed new brackets since I had a RH drive RB X-member which is different
from the LH drive, and because the brackets were cracked almost all the way
through!). This method has the advantage that the rack is perfectly aligned
on the brackets without any shims required. I'm quite happy with the result,
though Í'm sure there are many ways of doing this just as well. Whichever
way you do it, it involves several trial engine installations to check
clearances. Using the stock firewall section was nice because you have to
make room for the driver's side head and drop the column mounting cone at
the same time, and at least with the stock part you retain some reference
dimensions.

Have fun! This was a rewarding job once finished.

Frank van Dalen