Intro and Mechanical Oil gage installation

To: <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: Intro and Mechanical Oil gage installation
From: "Susan and Jack Brooks" <TR3A@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2000 21:43:41 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hi,

I acquired a TR8 (3.5 liter BOP-Rover) about a month ago.  It is a two owner car
that had been languishing in a nice dry garage since 1993.  I subscribed to the
Wedge list a while ago and I learned about this group through Dan Masters web
site.  Dan had high praise for y'all.  Knowing Dan for years off the Triumph
list and finally meeting him in person at VTR-Portland, ME, I knew joining would
be a good thing, except for one small detail.  I own two TR's and no MG's....
<Huge Grin>  I had been looking for an ELVA Courier (MG powered!) TR4 or a TR8.
The 8 was a deal I just couldn't pass up.

The TR8 was parked in 1993 because of a bad starter, but the carbs needed
rebuilding and the engine harness was a disaster too.  I'm waiting on a few more
carb gaskets (due in tomorrow) and I'll have the beasty running by this weekend.
I've run the engine for 5-10 seconds at a time on starting fluid and gasoline,
but the carbs were a mess.  I have sat in it, and gone Vroom Vroom, a few times
while wondering if I would ever get it started. :-(    Taking a nice spirited
drive in the TR3 usually got me out of the doldrums.  Except for a few exterior
lights and the Tachometer, everything not requiring the engine running to be
tested has been repaired and is functional, at least for now.  I suspect some of
the old components (especially the hydraulics) are just waiting to fail.  The
car has a pretty solid body, but could use paint.

I've been lurking for a while gathering all sorts of great information and
finally have a reason to ask a question.  I am going to install a mechanical oil
pressure gage this winter to supplement the idiot light, so it's time to start
acquiring parts.  I really don't want to run an oil line all the way from the
front passenger side of the engine to the dash board.  Is there a gallery plug
or other way to tap into a pressurized oil gallery anywhere near the drivers
side, rear of the engine?  The engine is in the car, so my access is somewhat
limited.

Hey Dan, when is the TR2-4 electrical book due out?

Thanks in advance,

Jack Brooks
Hillsdale, NJ
1960 TR3A