The first couple of hundred miles, some thoughts (Long)

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: The first couple of hundred miles, some thoughts (Long)
From: Wake074@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 10:38:39 EDT
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Just wanted to say thanks for all those who chimed up about the hard starting
problem.  I changed coils to a MSD Blaster coil.  I then immediately fried a
set of points, read the instructions, installed a resistor, and things seem
to be okay. I'm still having a starting problem, but its either in the
ignition switch or relay, as periodically when I turn the key nothing
happens.  I'll change the relay first, as it appears to the be the original
lucas item.

The car is running fine, plenty of power.  Still idles a little rough at
about 800 RPM.  About once every 5 to 10 seconds, the idle will just drop a
couple of hundred RPM and then pick right back up.  Any thoughts?

Took the car out in the middle of the afternoon to see how it would react to
the heat (sunny, 95 degrees).  Ran just about above N on the guage while
moving at cruising speeds.  However, I don't think it would handle stop and
go rush hour traffic in that kind of heat.  It started approaching the H,
when I was sitting at a stop light.  I'm using stock electric fans and a
Mustang 3 core radiator, Buick 300 water pump.  It isn't something I'm
worried about, who wants to be in a convertible with a black vinyl interior
when its in the 90's anyway :-)  Plus I'm moving to Rochester, NY in 6 weeks,
so it should be much cooler.

The only other problem is oil leakage.  Its leaking out of the front seal for
sure, and may be dripping very slowly from the rear seal as well.  We aren't
talking large amounts, but enough to make a mess of the garage floor.  I'm
not too anxious to pull the motor again, so I'll probably live with it for
now.

Next big project (next winter) will be to work on the rear suspension some.
It's not hard to tell that the rear suspension could use some tweaking to
handle the additional horsepower.

Having a whole lot of fun, and getting lots of positive comments from
strangers while driving around.

Glenn