Re: Camshaft Selection

To: Wake074@aol.com
Subject: Re: Camshaft Selection
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 21:05:06 -0500
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net, al.tracy@juno.com
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
The cam in my old 215 was/is a Crane Comucam  H-202/260-2s-12, good 1500-4000,
valve float @ 6500. This is a mild street cam with good low end, good vacuum, if
that is important. I have an Erson in my 4.2, which would not be applicable to
your engine, range 2000-5000. I am very happy with both.

My opinion is that for amateurs, as opposed to professional racers, any of the
major manufacturers can supply you with a good piece, it is up to you to define
the operating limits. As the rpm range goes up, low end suffers, so what range
are you going to operate in 2-5000? If you chose to go above that, your idle &
stop lite starting will begin to slide away. You have to also consider the rear
end ratio- is it what you want, or will you be changing it?

Besides the wisdom of our list, you may wish to contact D & D, as Dan has built
more 215's than almost anyone else still alive. Woody Cooper of the Wedge Shop
has worked with Erson for the past several years on cams for the Buick/Rover/Tr8
engine, & has some grinds not listed in the Erson catalog. Ted @ TS Imports is
quite expert with the Rovers, he might stoop so low as to consider a
recommendation for the (buick) Shhh, don't say that word too loud when talking
Ted.

Jim Stuart
links to all mentioned @   mgbv8.com

Also, the latest info on the V8 Convention 2000