Re: [Mg-t] Post winter TD blues

To: "MG-T list" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Post winter TD blues
From: <scvc70@epix.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2016 11:08:28 -0400
Douglas --

I don't know whether you have the problems with fuel going bad (turning to
gum) from sitting in the tank for months, as we have up here, but it sounds
as though your problem is too much fuel rather than not enough spark.  In
addition to Bill Beech's suggestions:

Take the lids off the float bowls and make sure that the floats are actually
floating.  They can stick on their shafts and not rise as the bowls fill, or
spring a leak and allow fuel in, which will make them not rise far enough to
shut off the fuel (I've had this problem in the past).

If you can get the car to start, take the air cleaner manifold off and work
the throttle by hand to see whether the pistons might be sticking in the
dashpots at some point, and not falling back down.

I remember sending you a pattern for the under-dash panel many years ago!
Glad to know your car is on the road.

Sarah Carr
TD3942EXLU in PA (USA)