Re: [Mg-t] ReStart Question

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] ReStart Question
From: Charles Hill <chillmog@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 1 May 2016 16:18:03 -0500
--===============7425039490769015041==
 boundary="------------687234C00A938DAE6F246F36"

--------------687234C00A938DAE6F246F36

It will have no effect on the starter. The generator should be fine
too.  To reassure yourself, you can flash the generator by touching a
wire connected to the positive side of the battery to the F post on the
generator.  This will set the generator to the correct polarity if it is
not already repolarized.  The most obvious effect to the car will be
with the ammeter.  If it reads to the + side when you turn on the switch
and then goes to the - side when the  car is running, the wires have to
be reversed.   Some recommend switching the coil leads for best ignition
performance.  Nothing else on the car as it came was polarity
sensitive.  Now if it has a Pertronics ignition or other modern
"upgrades" that is a totally different situation.

Regards,
Charles Hill

  On 5/1/2016 10:20 AM, Gable, Gerry wrote:

> I got my 49 MG TC back from the mechanic that cleaned my carburetors
> got my car started after being   idle for many years.  I discovered
> the battery was wired for negative ground, will that have an effect on
> the starter and the generator?
>
> Thanks
>
> Hap

--------------687234C00A938DAE6F246F36

  <head>
      http-equiv="Content-Type">
  </head>
      The generator should be fine too.  To reassure yourself, you can
      flash the generator by touching a wire connected to the positive
      side of the battery to the F post on the generator.  This will set
      the generator to the correct polarity if it is not already
      repolarized.  The most obvious effect to the car will be with the
      ammeter.  If it reads to the + side when you turn on the switch
      and then goes to the - side when the  car is running, the wires
      have to be reversed.   Some recommend switching the coil leads for
      best ignition performance.  Nothing else on the car as it came was
      polarity sensitive.  Now if it has a Pertronics ignition or other
      modern "upgrades" that is a totally different situation.  <br>
      Regards,<br>
      Charles Hill<br>
       On 5/1/2016 10:20 AM, Gable, Gerry wrote:<br>
      cite="mid:F0552312647DC949AC4CC9399848964D01231B9912@Moe.intra.ecu.edu"
      type="cite">
        charset=windows-1252">
        MARGIN-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN-TOP: 0px
}
        #000000;font-size: 10pt;">
          carburetors got my car started after being   idle for many
          years.  I discovered the battery was wired for negative
          ground, will that have an effect on the starter and the
          generator?</p>

Mg-t@autox.team.net
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive

--===============7425039490769015041==--