Re: [Mg-t] Securing a spare halfshaft

To: "mgbob@juno.com" <mgbob@juno.com>, MG T List <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] Securing a spare halfshaft
From: JohnD <johnsfolly@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 15:11:27 -0500
Thought I'd share what I decided to do.
I put together the halfshaft-carrier combination with bearing and all,
sprayed it well with corrosion inhibitor, and wrapped it oily rags and then
in plastic.
I used two 5/16 U-bolts, one longer than the other to accommodate the extra
width of the bearing carrier. I used "connector nuts" to turn the ends of
the U-bolts into female threaded pieces. I drilled 4 5/16 holes through the
plywood deck behind the seat positioned so the halfshaft would sit as far
forward in the "kick-up" as possible. I then used oval head phillips machine
screws and ss fender washers to tighten the whole assembly. I tried to find
flat head screws and finish washers that I could flatten to look like the
screws Abingdon already used on the deck but could not find the washers in
5/16.

On to the next task on the list!

John Deikis
www.kidsCURE.blogspot.com