[Mg-t] Rallye to Reno?

To: MG T List <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mg-t] Rallye to Reno?
From: JohnD <johnsfolly@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2010 17:28:35 -0400
Hello.
Curious who may be considering doing the Rallye to Reno next summer.
Earlier I posted the following on the MGTD-TF BBS and apologize for the
double email some of you may get.

Any thoughts on the following:
I restored my TD in the early 1980's but never touched the motor because it
ran so well-- except for oil leaking from every dried out gasket. I took
care of all of that and had all of the ancillaries rebuilt: dynamo, starter,
water pump, oil pump, transistorized fuel pump, radiator, carbs, rear end
with a 4.33. I probably put 25K miles on it but other diversions have
resulted in only about 2500 miles in the last 19 years. Lately, it's been
more like 300 miles a summer!

So, to celebrate a possible retirement next spring, I figured I'd putter
with TD over the winter, do some "invisible" upgrades, and then drive "till
the wheels come off." To start off on the right foot, I sent my clock out
and now have a working transistorized time piece! Gotta know what time it
is--celestial navigation and that sort of thing. ;-)
Also, I re-sealed the carbs with the viton rebuild kit and had Dave Dubois
overhaul my fuel pump.

Besides the usual "due diligence" items: full servicing with tune-up, lube,
bearing re-pack, checking the brake shoes and hardware, what would you do to
get a "driver T-car" ready for a 7,000-mile round trip? Not asking for what
to take along but what you might do to prepare. Thanks in advance.

Cheers!
John Deikis
Chelsea, MI
--