Re: [Mg-t] lights and wiper questions

To: hstrachman@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] lights and wiper questions
From: Dave and Liz DuBois <ddubois@sinclair.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 22:06:21 -0700
Herb,

> The motor was built by a respected builder in New England.
That would be Lawrie Rhoads.  He would be better able to answer the
question on why the wipers stall out.

> Also, can you tell me what the blade stop plate does?
I'm not aware of that, so I am probably missing that on our 53 TD also.
My guess is that it stops the blades from blowing up beyond the of the
windshield as happens on ours if there is a heavy wind blowing when we
are driving.

> when key switch is turned to power all 4 lights dim.
That would indicate a problem in the ignition/light switch or a heavy
load on the electrical system when the ignition is turned on.  What does
the ammeter read when the ignition is turned on?  Check the reading with
the lights on and the ignition off, the lights off and ignition on and
finally lights and ignition on at the same time.

> I replaced brake light switch, recently, and brakes lights worked after
>replacement.
They won't be after a short period of time, unless you got the switch
from Ron Francis Wiring,  the replacement switches available from Moss,
Abingdon, NAPA, etc are so light duty, they don't hold up well without a
relay/arc suppression circuit added.  For information on making and
installing a relay/arc suppression circuit, see the article Brake Light
Relay in the Other Tech Articles section of my web site at:
http://homepages.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Cheers,
Dave