Re: [Mg-t] [British-cars] valve springs

To: Mike Duvall <duvallcom@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [Mg-t] [British-cars] valve springs
From: John Seim <kingseim@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 22:49:39 -0700
The TC-TD valve springs have 120lb pull pressure.
The late TD-TF springs have 150lb pull pressure.
The factory got it wrong. They saw shiny areas between the springs, and
concluded that the springs were subject to valve crash. In fact, they
were
going into oscillation.
Both are double sets, using same top holders and bottom cups.
I recommend the TC-TD springs. Only 90 lb pressure is required on a
stock
4 cylinder engine to pull the valves closed, with stock compression
ratios.
120 lb is not too much more than 90 lbs, 150 lb puts a lot of pressure
on the cam lobes and lifters.
You are only as stong as your weakest link.

John Seim
Irvine, CA