Re: T knocking, the saga continues....

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: T knocking, the saga continues....
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 14:41:42 -0500
   It was almost a month ago when I wrote about this problem.
   T-list members were generous with suggestions and sympathy.  Among the
suggestions were:  pilot bushing (we replaced it, firt is good), throwout
bearing (6,000 miles old and inspected again by John Esposito), thrust
wear in engine, worn universals (knocks w/o driveshaft connected), clutch
loose (tight with 31 ft/lbs torque on all capscrews), starter loose &
rattling (it's tight), engine mounts ( all new), loose connection bell
housing to engine ( all holes since helicoiled and all capscrews are
pulled to 31 ft/lbs). Another friend pushed and pulled crankshaft pulley
and pronouced thrust movement OK (6000 miles on engine since a Wanta
rebuild and there was no knocking before this R&R of gearbox).
   We have run the engine with gearbox removed.  It's purrs nicely. A
stethescope picks up no knocking in the engine.
   Gearbox turns silently, smoothly, both by hand and at 1000 rpm under
drill power, shifts well.
   Clutch pedals have normal but not excessive wear in holes and rest of
linkage is OK.
   Any other ideas ?   At this point we are keeping careful watch to see
if it's space aliens tapping on the metal, or some tiny creature trapped
inside.
   On the bright side---we're getting quite proficient at R&R of the
gearbox.
Bob

On Mon, 27 Nov 2006 09:33:06 -0500 Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com> writes:
>   A request for advice....
>   Last summer a club member had troubles with his TD gearbox. He
> removed the gearbox and sent it out for rebuilding by Quantum
Mechanics,