Front shock ID unusual

To: mg-t <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Front shock ID unusual
From: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 14:15:57 -0500
Listers,
        I have just come upon a front Armstrong lever shock for TDs and TFs
that I haven't seen before. I'm hoping someone here can shed some light.
        It is stamped the usual 5697 on the underside.
        There is a brass tag double riveted on 1 arm. In large script is
"Acuna" with a tilde over the "n". The line below on the left reads
"DF. ERAZO 185" and immediately below that is "COL.. DOCTORES" To the
far right is "18-35-19" and immediately below that is "10-92-63" All
of the above in quotes is embossed. In the middle of the bottom half
is stamped "19662" as if were a running serial number.
        The shock has been altered, or is at least different from the
original Armstrong in that there is a notched plain plug on the
bottom where I expect there to be the valve and springs. Inside was a
ball and a spring. The side seals through which the shaft goes are
very different from stock. I would suspect that it is a seal and
retainer very on-original.

        So, was this a rebuilder of old? Was it a "customized" shock of days
gone by? Anyone ever see this? Is the tag from a medical college gym locker?

I appreciate any input.

        Peter C.