RE: Carb Question

To: <Herald1200@aol.com>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Carb Question
From: "Gene Gillam" <anngene@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2006 20:41:42 -0600
Scott wrote:
>Put it back together and noticed that when I tightened  the screws down on
the suction chamber so the gap was gone the piston was  real stiff, and
lifting it with a screwdriver it wouldn't go all the way  down<

Scott,

I know the jet centering tool you're talking about and you're using it
correctly - and all the suggestions you've received have been good ones.

I had the same problem with one of the carbs on my TC - piston would clunk
down satisfactorily till you turned that last screw on the cover down that
last half turn - then it would stick.  I cleaned everything, tried
everything everyone has suggested here and nothing helped.  Turned out that
the carburetor base was slightly warped - only way I could get the piston to
work correctly was to shim that last screw hole slightly with tinfoil and it
would work perfectly.  It's a last ditch solution but it will work.

Gene