Re: [mg-tabc] Steve Plath's Master Cylinder Conundrum

To: <billear3@aol.com>, "mg" <mg-t@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Steve Plath's Master Cylinder Conundrum
From: "tnewton" <timnewton@menziesgroup.com.au>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 14:12:06 +1000
Hi Bill
I have just over hauled the brakes on TC9356, having discovered all wheel
cylinders leaking. Most well respected and competent brake repairers will
guarantee the quality if their work, including re-sleeving. In Australia, I
selected Auto Brake Service, a National franchised system of owned stores. For
$100 each, they sand blasted the exterior of each wheel cylinder, new bleeding
nipple, re-sleeved in stainless to specification size, cleaned the pistons and
replaced the internal and external rubbers. In other words, brand new.
Recommend not to use dot 5 (silicon) brake fluid unless you have a very
specific reason. Change your brake fluid as an annual service task and you
will be safe. If you must move to silicon fluid, you will need to not only
completely flush the old fluid from the system, but remove every trace of the
old fluid as they are not compatible and will create a sludge over time when
mixed.
Good Luck
Tin Newton