Re: switch winding (again)

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: switch winding (again)
From: "Gunnell, John" <gunnellj@krause.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 08:59:59 -0600
When I started doing a "walk through" before re-installing some rebuilt carbs
on my MG TF 1250 the other night, I noticed that the rebuilder sent me four
carburetor-to-manifold gaskets and I was wondering why, as my TD uses just two.
I sent the rebuilder an email and he said it was because one gasket goes on
either side of the spacers between the carb and the manifold. I looked in the
parts I took off and there were no spacers.
I cannot tell if the spacers are missing or whether some previous mechanic
"glued" them permanently to the intake manifold flanges. I can see that the
intake manifold looks different in design than the one on my TD. There is about
an extra 1/4 inch of "meat" on the flanges that mate to the carburetors. Since
the manifold is painted, I cannot tell if this extra quarter inch is a
difference in the design of the two manifolds (between the TD and TF) or
whether the spacers have been more or less permanently bonded onto the flange.
I tend to think that someone bonded the spacers on for several reasons. First,
there is a prominent "seam" where the extra 1/4 inch of material ends. Second,
I do not think there is enough room to add spacers as it seems to me that the
air cleaners were right up against the hood side panel when I took things
apart. Also the car ran fairly well before (I had the carbs rebuilt because
they were leaking gas).
I know that the TF intake manifold is larger than the TD type, but if the two
designs are basically the same otherwise, I will know that mine has the spacers
bonded to it. On the other hand, if the TF manifold has a different carburetor
flange design, I'll know that I'm missing the spacers.
John Gunnell