Re: Busted half shaft

To: MGTD2@aol.com
Subject: Re: Busted half shaft
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2003 09:04:47 -0500
John,
   I helped another TD owner remove the broken stub. Like yours, it was
jammed in the splines.  We were unable to push it out with curved rods,
so ended up following the procedure in Section H.6 of the manual, then
taking the diff assembly to a shop to have the stub pressed out.   H.8
describes examining parts for wear. We saw no wear.  It was reassembled
with new half shaft and new seals. A year later, everything seems to be
fine.
   The car must have been driven in a spirited manner at some time.  The
stub, once we could see it, was very obviously twisted in the splines and
more twist was evident at the base of the splines.  The shop said that
they needed a ten-ton press to push the stub out.  Axle on the near side
seemed to be as good as new.
Bob

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 19:34:30 EST MGTD2@aol.com writes:
> Listers:
> I have a question concerning getting the broken "splined stub" out
> of the differential when replacing a broken halfshaft.  I have been
> unsuccessful popping it out with a curved rod from the opposite side
and am about ready to unbold the axel tube from the diff to remove the
stub.  A knowledgeable