Busted half shaft

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Busted half shaft
From: MGTD2@aol.com
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 19:34:30 EST
Listers:
I have a question concerning getting the broken "splined stub" out of the
differential when replacing a broken halfshaft.  I have been unsuccessful
popping
it out with a curved rod from the opposite side and am about ready to unbold
the axel tube from the diff to remove the stub.  A knowledgeable individual
has told me that if I do this I will have to reset the preload  (more
precisely,
pay someone to reset the preload) or I will have diff problems.  Another
person who should know told me to just replace any shims that I find in there
and
it should be just the way it was before.  The person who told me this is a T
racer who has never had subsequent problems despite racing the car with that
rear end.  Any thoughts on this....or advice on getting that little broken end
out?
Thanks in advance.
-John Deikis
Chelsea, MI