shocks, alias dampers

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: shocks, alias dampers
From: Stu Keen <simbafish@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:52:01 -0400
A year ago I discovered my front RIGHT Girling damper on my 51 TD was
leaking badly. I STRUGGLED to remove it and have it repaired. Now I find the
Front LEFT damper is also leaking. I have increased the viscosity of the
oil, but this has not helped.

I dread the thought of removing another front damper. There is only about
1/8" free space to maneuver a wrench to lossen/tighten one of the inner
mounting bolts (there is sheet metal all around the bolt!). It takes forever
coaching the bolt out a millimeter at a time. Does anyone have a system that
makes the task manageable?

My basic question is: other than for comfort, is there any other purpose for
the dampers (i.e. can I just leave it dry?). Having a Mk II, I also have
Andrex dampers installed, but they have never been rebuilt, only there for
completeness.

Stu Keen

51 MG TD MkII