Re: Stuck in the '50s

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stuck in the '50s
From: Gene Gillam <anngene@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:11:15 -0400
John wrote:
>Found out the battery was in backwards, but changing it hasn't helped this
>problem<

How did/does your ammeter read?  The TF was originally positive (+) ground, not
negative (-) so swapping the battery around may have created other, i.e.
charging, problems you're not aware of yet.

>If I try to re-start with the clutch in, it acts dead or near dead. Won't
>hardly crank or won't crank. If I let the clutch out it starts<

What is your ammeter doing when you push the clutch in?  Does it show a
discharge?  Do your lights dim?  Does the engine turn over?  Or does it only
turn over when you let out the clutch and try it?

>Any tricks to greasing the speedo cable or just like an old American car?<

No trick - just pull the inside cable out of the sheath and use a light grease
- I use one with graphite.

Any experience with Moss tach cables (original vs. replacement?) and any tricks
to sliding one in. The car has no tach cable at all<

Tried 'em both - other than appearance there is no difference.  And again, no
tricks - just run it through the firewall and connect at both ends.

Congratulations on driving it to work!

Gene Gillam