Re: [mg-tabc] Water temp sensor location

To: mgt <mg-t@autox.team.net>, mgtabc <mg-tabc@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Re: [mg-tabc] Water temp sensor location
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:48:52 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 27 Mar 2003 23:58 +0200, Joe Gates wrote:

> I fabricated and installed a replacement rear head cover plate from
> brass to accomodate a temperature guage sensor the belief that that's
> where coolant water is hottest.

Not really.  The coolant picks up far more heat in the cylinder head
than in the block, so is hottest as it exits the cylinder head via the
water outlet elbow and thermostat.  You're measuring it as it enters the
head from the block.

> The alternative/original sensor position in the header tank has the
> potential defect (am not a physicist, so forgive my possible ignorance)
> of showing cooler temperature if the water falls below the sensor.

True, but if the coolant level drops that low then you have other problems
that need to be addressed.  The header tank location will give you a more
accurate reading of coolant temperature than your rear plate location, but
not as accurate as a sensor located in the water outlet elbow between the
head and thermostat.

--
Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland     1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO  CT3479E