Re: TD rear axle / Clutch Popping

To: "Bob Howard" <mgbob@juno.com>
Subject: Re: TD rear axle / Clutch Popping
From: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 23:03:17 -0000
My theory of TD axle breakage is that the rear end ratio is so high, that
first gear can deliver a tremendous amount of torque to the axle. Before I
replaced my motor mounts, the engine would shift around a bit. This would
play havoc with the clutch, since the linkage is a solid rod. No matter how
careful I was, either the engine would die or the wheels would squeal every
time I started up. Now that my clutch works smoothly, I still pop the clutch
accidentally now and again. No matter how careful I am, my foot occationally
slips off the clutch pedal. Maybe this doesn't hurt any thing, if the engine
rpm is not too high. Mike, did your wife have the engine revved up when she
popped the clutch?

Admit it guys, don't we all make a bad shift once in a while?

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
Email - bobmgtd@insightbb.com
52 MGTD - NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB - NAMGBR #7-3336