Purchase Inspection Help Needed

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Purchase Inspection Help Needed
From: Nels Anderson <nels@flightsim.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 13:43:59 -0400
I'm considering joining the ranks of MGTD owners and have found a likely
candidate to buy. Being a 52 year old car it does have a few flaws but
nothing that's killed the purchase yet. I do have a couple of questions
I wonder if experienced owners can answer though.

The engine breather has noticeable smoke coming out of it. I believe
this is normal, but just how much is normal and under what conditions?

I did not pull the spark plugs on the initial look (it was getting dark)
but want to go back and do that. How should they look on a properly
working engine?

There are some questions about the brakes. The owner says they were
repaired about 3 years ago (about 300 running miles, since the car has
not been used much recently). One drum was replaced and the brake
cylinder redone. There is no apparent problem when running, but when the
brakes are applied the car pulls to the right a bit. He explains that
the pad adjustments are done in steps and unless pad wear is exactly the
same on both sides you will always get some pull to one side or the
other. True? If not true, how hard to fix?

There's also a bit of a rattle which appears to come from the right rear
wheel area. Any ideas what might be loose back there (brake pad, ...?)
and how much of a problem it's likely to be.

The gas tank leaks. Not fast enough that we could see it actually drip,
but there is paint damage from it. The FAQ has a pretty good discussion
on this but is a couple of years old. Is there any new knowledge about
this sort of problem?

He has a spin on oil filter adapter that apparently does not work well.
He's had it blow the filter seal twice right after startup due, he says,
to high pressure. By letting the car warm up (and thus the oil warm,
thin, and max. pressure go down) he says there are no problems. He
suggests I switch to the other type of filter mod (the one with
replaceable filter elements) which is supposed to work properly. This is
discussed in the FAQ too so making the change does not seem to be a
problem, but is there any new knowledge on this topic?