Re: Valve Seats

To: <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Valve Seats
From: Chip Old <fold@bcpl.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 11:10:24 -0500 (EST)
Stu,

The Mark II head and the standard head begin live as the same identical
casting. The only difference is in how the casting is machined.  The Mark
II head has more taken off the head gasket surface to make the compression
ratio higher, the valve seats are larger in diameter to accomodate the
larger valves, and the diameter of the valve pockets directly below the
seats are machined larger to match the seats.  A standard head can be
remachined to Mark II specifications very easily, so your concerns about
damaging a "rare" item are unfounded.

You said four of the valves are recessed slightly.  This isn't uncommon,
especially for exhaust valve seats, in these days of unleaded fuel.  How
"slight" is the recession?  Excessive recession causes several problems.
>From a performance point of view, recession shrouds the valves to some
extent, reducing flow past the valve.  From a maintenance point of view,
excessive recession raises the valve stem tip in relation to the rocker
arm, so you eventually run out of adjstment as the recession gets worse.
Also from a maintenance point of view, a recessed seat is shrouded so
doesn't cool as well, leading to faster growth of the recession.

The insert/no insert decision needs to be based on a lot of factors, but
primary considerations are how you drive the car and how long you want the
new valve job to last.  If you put a lot of miles on the car, or if you
drive it hard, or if you want it to last a long time before the next valve
job, install inserts.  If none of those apply, don't install inserts.
When in doubt, install inserts.

Inserts are available in several outside diameters and several depths for
any given valve size.  Your local NAPA machinists may be unable or
unwilling to deal with the narrow OD shallow depth inserts needed, but
plenty of machine shops can.  Keep shopping.

--
Chip Old               1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  XPAG7430  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland     1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO  CT3479E