Re: [Fwd: TD Thermostat Question]

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Fwd: TD Thermostat Question]
From: "Scott Allen" <scottinarl@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 22:23:34 -0000
I have an Arnolt in my TD, and it's why I was called by my friend when he
installed his Whitney unit: I knew how it was plumbed.

I'll start by thanking Chip Olds for helping me make sense of this last
year.

The intake hose is plumbed into the bypass, (which makes sense since the
coolant is hottest through this section).  The hose that goes from the
bypass to the thermostat is cut in half and a pipe section whose diameter is
the same as the internal diameter of the hose is inserted into it.  In the
pipe a hole was drilled and 5/8" elbow was welded into it to accept the
intake heater hose.  This hose runs up the back of the carbs, across the top
of the intake manifold to a hole 1 1/2" below the battery box.  This hole
has a grommet on it to protect the hose from chafing.  The hose then runs
into the back of the heater unit.

The outgoing line runs to a spot abot 4" from where the incoming line comes
in under the battery box and also has a grommet on it.  It then passes up
over the valve cover to a coupling that's screwed into the back of the
expansion tank in the place that the water temp sensor would normally go.

The coupling has abot a 2" long straight section screwed into the back of
the expansion tank,  after which is a T on it with two more straight
sections of pipe.  One section accepts the water temp sensor, and the other
has an old-fashioned, (I prefer "vitage") two bladed propeller valve built
into it.  As such you turn the heater on and off by manually opening and
closing the valve, (as opposed to turning on the fan which is electrically
operated).  After the valve is another straight pipe section which the
outgoing heater hose attaches to.

If you have an old-fashioned thermostat this setup causes problems as when
the bellows thermostat heats up it expands, cutting off the bypass and the
coolant flow to the intake line.

With a modern thermostat it works fine, but if you block the bypass in the
Summer you need to remove it for the heater to work.

Lastly I should point out that Whitney has an installation kit they sell
with the heater which comes with a pull cable to open and close the heater
valve.  I guess one can be installed in an out of the way place under the
dash but I like the way mine works.

Hope this helps?

Scott Allen

[This message delayed, as it needed manual intervention by the list
administrator.  mjb.]