Re: Windshield Wipers

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Windshield Wipers
From: Bulwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 09:48:34 -0600
Bill:

TD wipers are the slowest ones I've seen.  Cold weather really
slows them down.  You can speed them up some by doing a little
maintenance, but it doesn't help much.  Check the wiring to make
sure you've got good connections.  Try using new jumpers directly
between the batter and the motor by going over the windscreen
which is a shorter route.  If there is very little change, then
the motor needs servicing.  If the original grease is still
inside the gear box it needs cleaning out and replacing.  I used
white grease as it isn't as heavy as chassis grease.  Check the
seals around the shaft where it passes through the windshield.
Old dry seals slow the wiper.  Lubricate the seals with petroleum
jelly, silicone, teflon, etc.  Use new wiper blades and
thoroughly clean the windscreen.  Use a windshield product which
beads the water on the windscreen as no matter how well the
wipers work, they just doesn't help much in anything other than a
mist or fog.

Blake