RE: Oh yes, to tube...

To: "Peter Jenniches" <Jenniches@t-online.de>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Oh yes, to tube...
From: "Bob Grunau" <cgrunau@pathcom.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 07:33:22 -0500
Hi Scott,
In addition to the reason given below by Peter, another reason for inner
tubes is that the wheel rim is connected to the center by rivets. These
rivets can leak air as the wheel was never intended to run tubeless. Modern
tubeless wheels are welded between rim and center.
I use Michelin radial tire tubes and 165x15" Michelin tires on my TD. These
are readily available at most good tire stores.
Bob
Hi Scott,
your daddy is alright, you should have tubes on all works wheels
of the T-types as heavy cornering might lead to an air leak. Also
a tube gives you at least the chance to repair a puncture somewhere
out in the desert with common tools, whilst a non-tube-radial
requires compressed air to refit without tube. 15 " tubes are no
problem to get, because still a lot of cars, mainly light transport,
run on 15 inch wheels.
Regards
Peter
TF 53