RE: Spoke Wheel Paint

To: "Chuck Hull" <chull@pacbell.net>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spoke Wheel Paint
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 17:02:33 -0600
Chuck,

The ease with which one can paint spoke wheels and the cost is,
unfortunately, inversely
proportional to the time and cost. In order of best (and timeconsuming) to
worst (but easy) are:

1) professionally blast to bare metal and repaint with a powdercoat or
stoved enamel
2) blast and paint with a two-part chemical hardening paint
3) blast and paint with Hammerite
4) blast, prime, and paint with whatever you can find at the hardware store
(or Moss silver wheel paint)

Actually, I have done #3 frequently. Hammerite is sold in spray cans and
quart and half-quart cans at most larger True Value hardware stores. Their
hammered silver-gray paint it a pretty good match for the originam silver
color. It is a glass-flake paint that does not require priming. I find it to
be quite tough, even over only wire brushed surfaces. It's about $6.00 per
spray can and does 2 wheels with a couple of medium coats.

I originally found Hammerite in the UK and was pleasantly surprised to find
it within the last few years in the US. They also sell it in smooth
(non-hammered) versions in white and black, and a few other limited colors.

Regards,
Lew Palmer