RE: Brake Drum Studs

To: "Larry Cogan" <woodrat@spacey.net>
Subject: RE: Brake Drum Studs
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:45:41 -0600
Larry,

I've never done them on a TF, but I had a similar problem on my MGA. The hub
studs needed replacing. New ones are available. You might even find them in
a well supplied auto parts store. They usually are carried in big orange
drawers under the manufacturer name "Dorman". Otherwise Moss or Abingdon
Spares.

If the studs fall out it's likely the hub is shot. But you might get lucky.
The new ones are pressed in using a several ton press. An easy job if you
have access to a bearing or arbor press. Resist any temptation to weld or
braze them in - you're likely to alter the hardness of the hub. A set of
hubs is cheaper than a few days in the hospital because of a hub
disintegrating on the freeway.

My regards to Jerry Keuper if you see him about town.

Regards,
Lew Palmer