Re: TD Color Hints

To: <MGTD1952@cs.com>, <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TD Color Hints
From: "David Tinker" <david.tinker@virgin.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 22:40:14 -0000
My 51TD was a Californian import (LHD at the time but now converted ). The
colour when I got the car was chocolate brown body with black wings and red
seats. Maybe someone saw it being driven around the streets of BLVDR
TIBURON, CA 94920 , 51 W Shore Rd to be precise. The Registration No. then
was DOZ 968 and stuck to the rear license plate was a red label with CA 89
and the number B8965021 together with the seal of the state of California,
and it seems that the car was registered up to August 22 1989 and I
purchased it in April 1989.  I am certain that the red trim was original but
the colour was something else.

I stripped the car down to a bare shell with the body off the chassis and
the only paint overspray colour I could find was Black. I searched under
every label and in every corner, and the conclusion I came to was that the
body colour was originally black. ( It is now Ivory with Green trim and
black weather equipment ).

Nothing found under the commission plate either so much of the mystery
surrounding the original spec of the TD's will remain until someone uncovers
unseen documents from Abingdon. ( What a Thrill that would be ) or would
it!!.

Regards
David Tinker