fusing

To: MG T Digest <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: fusing
From: Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 14:31:08 -0400
Having just recently experienced a short in the lighting system, I am
wondering what anyone has done to fuse the LUCAS system in a TD. The two
fuses in my car only protect accessories, such as horn, wiper, stop
light and petrol light. Nothing else is fused. This is inviting Murphy!

The easiest point to fuse seems to be the brown with white (#37) wire on
terminal "A" of the regulator (control) box. If everything is operating,
i.e. engine, fuel pump, lights, etc., what is the expected amperage?
Since my panel ammeter normally only registers a couple amps, which is
offset by the generator's approx 13 amps, I'd think a 20 amp fuse would
be sufficient. Since the starter does not go through this circuit, there
should be no surges.

It would probably be better to fuse separately the ignition and lights.
But this is more labor intensive and perhaps not necessary. I have heard
that there is an article in TSO about fusing the lighting system. Does
anyone know which issue? The latest index I have is May 10, '93.  I
cannot seem to find it in any of the issues I have, but perhaps have
overlooked it.

Thanks for any suggestions

Stu Keen
1951 MGTD MkII