Brake Back plates, Murphy strikes again

To: mgt <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Back plates, Murphy strikes again
From: Rick & Carolyn <walters@mail.softcom.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 08:02:45 +0000
Hi all,

Found an interesting thing out on the front brake back plates.

I'm in the middle of my front end rebuild on a 52 TD.  So, parts are a
little scattered between the paint booth and the garage.  I was very
carefull to keep both left and right sides seperate.  But ol' Murphy got
me.  Some how I managed to get the back plates swapped from right to
left.  They look very similar, in fact are only slightly different.  I
didn't even notice until putting the brakes back on the front.  The
brake cylinders hit the tie rod ends on the back side.  Now I tried to
swap the cylinder from side to side, even vertical arangements.  It just
don't work.  Finally a friend commented there might be some slight
differences between the sides.  Through the haze of frustrations I
swapped them.  Yep, they are different.  Offset just enough to make them
fit.  The differences are very small, hardly visible.

I even marked the plates before painting.

Watch out for Murphy, he's out there waiting to get you.

Rick