Re: Electrical Short

To: "Stuart Keen" <simbafish@home.com>, "MG T Digest" <mg-t@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Electrical Short
From: "lbprince" <lbprince@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 19:57:43 -0700
Stu,

I suspect that nothing like 55 amps was being drawn.  As you point out,
there would have been lots of smoke.  It appears that there was not a real
solid short  so that no damage perhaps occurred, but yet there  was
sufficient current leaking to run down the battery.  I suggest you check the
wiring from the battery to the ammeter and make certain it corresponds to
the workshop manual drawing.  Also check the wiring to the voltage
regulator.

When I purchased my TF, some previous owner or mechanic had wired a
device to the input side of the ammeter.  Combining this problem with a
mis-wired  voltage regulator caused all kinds of wild readings.  Correcting
the regulator wiring and moving the device connection to the downstream side
of the ammeter solved the problem.  With the horns and starter not being
operated, the wire from the battery  to the ammeter on the TF should be free
of any other connections.  Ignoring wire resistance, the electrical loads
should be downstream of the ammeter (aside from horns and starter).

I would also suggest that you put in a complete set of fuses to protect the
wire to all circuits.  As you are perhaps aware, some of the light circuits
have no fuse protection.  In other cases, wires will burn up before the
heavy original fuses blow.  On my TF, I installed a fuse box under the dash
on the back of the tool box, and have fuses for thirteen different circuits.
Each fuse is tailored to the wire and device being served.

Ben