Re: Hypothetical question about driving a TC

To: hineline@helix.ucsd.edu, mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Hypothetical question about driving a TC
From: JagMkV@aol.com
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 14:06:24 EDT
Mark.

As a TD owner as well as one who participated in a number of vintage races in
a TC, I can tell you unequivocably that a TD handles far better than a TC.
That said, a TC on a paved road can be a handful.  It's twitchy, one end
wants to go one way and the other wants to go in a different direction each
time a bump is encountered.  I would say that the TC would be fine on paved
two lane back country roads and smooth dirt roads, but it would be Hell on
rutted logging roads.  I would have serious questions about it staying
together on those kind of roads.  I used to have a Jeep CJ2a in Maine and
used the logging roads for fishing.  Even the Jeep had trouble.

I use my TD every day that it isn't raining. Usually taking it to lunch from
my home office.  We also use it on weekends for errands and to take tours
through Northwest Connecticut, and it is a joy to drive.  I would never think
of taking it on a logging road or rutted dirt road.  I don't think the
allignment would last an afternoon.  I also own an army Jeep from WWII to get
my "logging road" or off road fix.  For me, the MG stays on the pavement.

Craig Carragan
53 MGTD
50 Jaguar MkV
46 Willys Jeep
Other assorted stuff

<< This question is hypothetical, because I do not now have a TC. But if I
 did have one -- and an MGTC is high up my life list of material wants --
 I would want to drive it on back roads, primarily unpaved roads. I can't
 see driving it on freeways or "surface roads" here in Southern
 California.  There'd be no joy in it. But anyone who has been around
 Flagstaff, Arizona, knows that the national forest lands there are
 riddled with logging roads that are open to public carriage. That's where
 I see myself driving a T.

 So on to the question: am I correct in believing that the ground clears
 and larger wheel diameter of a TC make it a competent off-pavement machine?