Hub Grease heat

To: mg-t@autox.team.net
Subject: Hub Grease heat
From: "Bill Traill" <bill@clovermachine.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 10:06:17 -0800
Our shop used to receive a newsletter form a national distributor of
ball bearings. Each issue had tips on bearing care and I remember
one such article was on packing hubs.

Basically, it stated to not pack over 30% full to allow for heat
transfer to the housing. Grease is a nice heat insulator. The author
stated that boat trailer wheel hubs have much higher than average
bearing problems due to heat build-up. People pack them full to
keep water out when the hub is submerged during boat launching.
........For what it is worth as I remember it....

Bill Traill

Bill