Re: Front Hub Grease Cap

To: simbafish@home.com
Subject: Re: Front Hub Grease Cap
From: David C Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 10:42:45 -0600
On Fri, 31 Mar 2000 10:46:44 -0500 Stuart Keen <simbafish@home.com>
writes:
> I have just reinstalled the front brake drums on my 1951 TD,
> tightened
> the nut and put into he cotter pin. The bearings were never removed,
> as
> the purpose of removing the drums was to mearly clean the brake
> shoes. I
> am now at the stage of installing the front hub grease caps.
>
> 1) I have heard the terminology  "packing the bearings". Aside from
> applying ample grease to the bearings, should I also be filling the
> grease cap with grease? Full, half full, how much ???

Filling the grease cap with grease will only increase the weight of the
car and impede performance.  Since the grease will not be lubricating
anything, it is serving no useful purpose.  You should, however, be very
generous with the grease as it is applied to the bearing.  It will thus
keep out dirt and provide some lubrication as the grease heats up and
flows around the bearing.

"Packing the bearings" refers to the action of forcing grease through the
bearing to ensure it gets where it is needed-- between the race and
bearings themselves.  The time honored method is to put a glob of grease
on the heel of your hand and push the side of the bearing against it such
that the grease is forced through the bearing.  Another method is a
double-cone shaped object with a zerk fitting on it.  A grease gun is
applied to the zerk fitting and the bearing put between the cones such
that the grease is forced through it.  Of course, this is all done after
cleaning the bearings thoroughly of the old grease and any dirt.

Trying to push grease through the bearing without removing it will add
some lubrication, but is much less effective in removing the old grease
and any contaminants therein.  It might even force old, dirty grease into
the bearing.

Should you therefore take them out?  Depends on how old they are and how
well maintained they are.  TD bearings are generally tough to remove, and
I have heard that frequent removal and replacement results in wear in the
hub-- which is not a readily available part.

I'd suggest replacing them if they have a lot of miles or exhibit signs
of pitting or wear.  New bearings are not all that expensive.  Then pack
them properly before putting them back.

David Littlefield
Houston, TX
'62 MGA MkII