audio check of P-A results

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: audio check of P-A results
From: DB35PA@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:35:17 EDT
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Wow!

What a terrific response!

Thank you to all who wrote with help and advice... 12 responses with great
additional tips along the way. Jerry, I will adjust clutch pedal throw  length.

Having checked the clutch/throw-out bearing... I seem to be within the  pr
escribed 3/16" adjustment on the "fingers". I did add a shot of grease to
throw-out assembly and managed NOT to drop anything down the inspection hole.
No
change in noise levels.

However, while checking out a tip from Paul, I believe he hit the nail on
the head. It appears to be an incorrectly fitted (too tight)dynamo.

Having recently encountered a failure of the dynamo, I swapped out my
defective part with a unit supplied by Dennis K. I failed to take careful
measurement and simply bolted the new unit in place using the 10 thou  shim I
found in
the original setup.

Using Paul's suggestion of checking the front gear casing while Sandy
activated the clutch (engine on), the noise was clearly from the front of the
engine, not the rear. Guess I was fooled by the fact the whine changed pitch
and
volume as the clutch was depressed, to assume.... and my clues may have
mislead you as well.

Deeper reading (thanks Peter D.) of both Smith and Greens' books state"...
If there is no appreciable amount of backlash present, an unbearable whine will
 be set up". Smith page 29.

As I understand it now, when the clutch is depressed, the 3 thou or so
endplay on the crank shaft, presses the dynamo drive gear forward in the front
gear housing, causing it to bind against the gear on the end of the dynamo
shaft, without the proper backlash allowance, and sets off the  terrible whine.
Solution is reset dynamo at correct height.

Comments or questions about my proposed  solution?

As so many seemed to hear the same noise, I apologize for the length of the
note, but hoped it might help others as well. I was clearly looking at the
wrong  end of the horse.

Thanks again for all the help and support.

Don B.