Re: PA Crank Dimension

To: viv@trax.co.za
Subject: Re: PA Crank Dimension
From: "J.E.A. Rich" <mmmbob@adelphia.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 15:43:08 -0600
Cc: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Viv,

I'm no longer in the Babbitt business, but before I retired from it I rebuilt several P Type engines with 21st. century crankshafts and they all had 1.75" diameter front main bearings. The cranks came from at least three different manufacturers so they were not all identical.

Like you I was concerned about the front main and was prepared to use a thinner sleeve if necessary but changed nothing and used my original jigs/moulds for all the bearings. The front Babbitt is a little thinner after its bored to size but to date (touch wood!) I've had no complaints or failures.

Cheers, and Good Luck, "Bob".

/// http://www.team.net/cgi-bin/majorcool