J-type clutch

To: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: J-type clutch
From: "Edmund Taylor" <etaylor@tjh.com.au>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 13:25:42 +1000
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
I am seeking advice from those who are successfully running standard J
type clutches in their cars.

I have had no problems with my clutch in the J3 over the past 15 years
(until now!). I originally used what I was told we "heavy duty" springs
when I first put the car together.

Recently the engine has had a birthday and is now producing somewhat
more power. The clutch is still fine for normal driving, but when pushed
hard, starts to slip. I entered the car in a sprint meeting over Easter
and the car was really flying, but after a few laps the clutch began
slipping. Once hot, I lost traction all together.

Any solutions, thoughts etc? I could increase the spring pressure, but
how far can I go before those 3 little fingers become over stressed?

As my philosophy has always been to try and keep to the original pre-war
design (and character) of the car, I do not want to go down the path of
conversion to a modern clutch.

So, any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks, Ed

Ed Taylor

EastLink

Engineering Manager

Mitcham Region - Tunnels

P: 03 8873 1317 (Region Office)

M: 0412 333 212

E: etaylor@tjh.com.au

IMPORTANT - This email and any attachments may be confidential and privileged.
If received in error, please contact Thiess John Holland and delete all
copies.  You may not rely on advice and documents received by email unless
confirmed by a signed Thiess John Holland letter.  This restriction on
reliance will not apply to the extent that the above email communication is
between parties to a contract and is authorised under that contract.  Before
opening or using attachments, check them for viruses and defects.  Thiess John
Hollands liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments.