Re: Accelerator Pedal Pinning

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Accelerator Pedal Pinning
From: Kellmg@aol.com
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 11:32:09 EST
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
In a message dated 3/4/2006 6:13:57 PM Central Standard Time,
c.bucknell@bigpond.com writes:

Hi  All,

Am wanting to remove the accelerator pedal on our P from the  cross-shaft
assembly.  It appears to be pinned in, but it looks like  the pin does
not go all the way through.  So I am buggered how you get  it out without
drilling it out.  Does anyone know anything about  the
assembly/disassembly of these?  I want to be able to get it all  back
together once it is apart so prefer to minimise the amount of damage  to
various bits and pieces including the pin.

Regards,

Chris  Bucknell

Hi Chris, All,

I think both Tom and Peter are correct but are speaking of different  aspects
of the assembly. Peter would be correct in saying the accelerator pedal  is
pinned and brazed to the shaft. Tom would be correct in saying the further
assembly has two pins, that once removed, allow the unit to be  disassembled.

I have recently stripped one down, though I can't prove Peter's point about
the brazing. I had no reason to take the pedal off the shaft. I've now powder
coated it and can't identify if it was actually brazed. However, the other
two pins for disassembly are in the idle running lever for the slow running,
and  the lever for the throttle link that passes through the firewall.

Looking now at the disassembled items, both levers had tapered pins,  as the
holes on each side vary. I used Tom's idea to identify the pins and they
drifted out easily.

As a matter of interest, Chris, do you need to replace the pedal or, just
disassemble as I have done? As I said the pedal pulls through the  assembly
along with the shaft.

I've been powder coating the various parts of chassis and sundry items  these
past two weeks. Satin finish, man, they nearly look professional. Except  I
got mine correct!!!!! Thanks to buddy Gordon for lending me his P.C.  unit.

Brian Kelly.