RE: PA Clutch

To: graw505@aol.com, mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: PA Clutch
From: "gd.morbey@virgin.net" <gd.morbey@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 11:05:47 -0400
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Geoff,

I experienced precisely the same problem last October.  A setscrew sheared
while the car was being driven, and fell into the bellhousing along with
the adjuster nut.  Needless to say, I could not retrieve the broken
components without removing the gearbox, as the drain hole in the bell
housing was too small to allow the nut through.  As my PA is a swept wing
model and has a gearbox undertray fitted, the replacement of the gearbox
cross-tube bracket into the frame - especially on the driver's side - was
an absolute pig of a job.

All of the above was on my mind when I called Mike Dowley of S&V, who had
supplied the offending setscrews (which are of the Allen key variety.)

He said that he had not heard of this being a problem with any anyone else,
and suggested that maybe I had tightened up the locking nut too tightly?  I
don't believe that I had done so, though, rather intriguingly, when
adhusting the clearance of the release bearing, one of the other "new"
bolts also sheared - despite only minimal force being applied through a
short spanner.

(Mike did supply me with a generic test sheet from the suppliers - though
this could not give any assurance as to the quality of the batch supplied
to me.)

I have therefore replaced all four setscrews and have tightened them by
just nipping up the adjusting nut and so far the problem has not recurred.

However, your comment makes me wonder whether the problem may be lurking
until s*d's law is ready to kick in and wreak further mischief!!

The reason why I replaced the old screws was simply that I thought it would
be easier to adjust the clearance of a setscrew having an Allen key rather
than the old-style screwdriver slot.  All of which makes me wonder whether
I would have bene better off re-using the old components, which experience
has taught me are frequently superior to those of modern manufacture!

I'd be interested in hearing wheter any others have hit this same problem.

Regards
Dick Morbey
PA 0743