Re: PA assembly

To: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>, <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: PA assembly
From: "Mike Hughes" <hughes.c.m@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 14:03:45 -0400
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
The fifth u-bolted bracket at the center of the cross member is one of two that support each side of the forward end of the drive shaft tunnel between the seats, and thus the inner sides of the floorboards.

So the order of assembly goes roughly as follows: The engine, transmission, drive shaft and rear axle, including all central oiling lines, brake cables, firewall vertical brackets and panel are already installed in the chassis (a rolling chassis, like you see in period photos in many M.G. books). The radiator is mounted to the front engine mount, with rubber grommets between the radiator bottom and the cast iron engine mount bracket. Then test fit the body to the chassis, with care to get the scuttle and radiator centered and aligned vertically and horizontally to each other AND the bonnet and side panels. ONLY THEN, you drill the necessary holes, bolt everything up and check again. It may be necessary to shim the body at one or more points to get a good alignment. Spend LOTS of time on this!!! Next fit the drive shaft tunnel. It is screwed directly to the (usually) plywood angled vertical panel forward of the wheel arch and bolted to the two u-bolted brackets at the center of the cross member. Once the tunnel is in place you fit the floorboards. As each piece of the puzzle is added to the chassis it will be clearer which piece goes in next!

- Mike Hughes -t?t-

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>