Re: PA assembly

To: "mg-mmm list" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>, "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Subject: Re: PA assembly
From: "Mike Hughes" <hughes.c.m@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 12:52:07 -0400
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Basically, the outriggers seem to have started life all the same as a "C" section stamping, wider on one end and then shouldered and tapered just a bit so that they were about 3/4 inch narrower at the outer ends than at the inner ends where the two u-bolt holes appear. Something like this from above:

| . . |
\ /
| |
| . |

I think that they were individually shortened and the body mounting holes drilled to accommodate the individual body being fitted to that particular chassis.

The u-bolts did not clamp directly to the chassis tubes, but rather there were special aluminum castings that the u-bolt clamped around to give a broader, more stable platform for the outriggers.

The body, forward of the wheel arches is indeed mounted by just four bolts. At the rear there are four flat plates, each drilled with two holes that are used to clamp the wooden lower rear body cross plate to the chassis by means of four long bolts, two on either side of each chassis rail. This gives you a total of six body mounting points.

- Mike Hughes -t?t-

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>