Re: Thermostat in PA cooling system. Worth the effort?

To: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Thermostat in PA cooling system. Worth the effort?
From: "Dave & Diana Dwyer" <dmdwyer@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 12:27:13 +1100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Dick

I can only comment re thermosyphon, as I've never fitted the water pump.

When we first had our car in England in the 60s, I made an elbow which
provided a place for the thermostat, an outlet to the heater and also got
around the problem of getting a hose with that tight right angle bend in it.

This has worked fine ever since: the engine warms quickly and the heater is
hot - though this last isn't much of a priority now that we live in Sydney!

I had never thought of the heater as providing a bypass path, but of course
it is. I would imagine that such a bypass is definitely necessary if you
have a water pump.

Regards

Dave Dwyer
J2, TA, TC