Engine Colors

To: "MMM List" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Colors
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 15:21:48 -0600
Cc: "Bob Clare" <100570.2213@compuserve.com>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
I guess my final tabulation of engine colors somehow was not obvious to
everyone. I posted it inside another message. In any case the final
results were:

Green                                       18
55%

Red                                          11
33%

Gray                                         2           (on early
M-types)          6%

Blue (bespoke or racing engine)  2
6%

To me, the percentage of green engines is significant. Although nothing
concrete can be proven by these numbers, it is clear that red was not
necessarily the predominant engine color for Triple M two-seaters, as
urban legend has held.

It also raises an interesting question as to whether racing engines were
the only engines to be painted blue. I'll go out on a limb and speculate
that any bespoke or otherwise special engine was so painted so as to
distinguish it from other outwardly similar-appearing engines. Although,
there are not enough responses to form a statistically accurate opinion.

Red and green seem to be used indiscriminately. I cannot find any
correlation between red, green, 2-seater, or 4-seater. So what was the
criteria. Or was it purely what happened to be in the spray gun?

Regards,

Lew Palmer