Hood top frames.

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Hood top frames.
From: "Nowlan, Chris" <cnowlan@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:55:48 -0800
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Guys,

        In the continuing restoration of my L2, I've tried to confirm that
the nice original hood frame that I acquired in the UK is really correct.

        I've now had the opportunity of comparing this to two other
"original J2 frames" and have found two distinctly different versions.  I
suspect that one of these is actually for a P-type two seater but don't
really know if these were different and if so what the difference was.  I
suspect that J2-F2 and L2 roadsters should all be the same while PA-PB
roadsters may be different.  I've seen lots of J2's where the hood sticks
are sticking up next to the seat squab when folded and this is certainly not
correct.  Are these P type hood frames or just ill fitting repros?

        While the basic construction is the same, the effective height as
measured from the underside of the main bow to the end of the mount point
leg is 3.250" different between the two versions.  This would make for two
very different hood profiles. While I do have service parts lists for L's
and J's, don't have easy access to the others to check part #'s.  I'm still
looking for a correct frame for my J2 as it was missing when I acquired the
car. If my "J" frame is really a "P"  I'll be interested in trades.  Any
spares out there??  What should the fitted height be as measured from the
prop-shaft tunnel to the underside of the main bow?

        I've drawn up a good illustration and charted all dimensions from
the two versions.  I'll get this off to Larry Long for the next issue of the
NAMMM newsletter since I can't post the illustration here. I'd be willing to
bet there are lots of mixed up frames out there.  I could fax a copy to
anyone that wants to compare notes.

        By the way, isn't Larry doing a great job with our newsletter !
Our UK friends are missing out on a really nice publication.

Cheers,

Chris Nowlan
Product Development
Moss Motors, Ltd.