I am surprised.

To: "MMM List UK" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: I am surprised.
From: "Pip Bucknell" <mgwizard@caloundra.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 19:19:08 +1000
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
I am surprised that no one has been able to give me the thickness of the PA
clutch.  The early one.

I had some good hints and found the well known clutch drawings thanks to leads
supplied by some of you.

Terry (S) gave me the measurement on his used driven plate but I do not know
if that was the original plate or the later plate used.

Another USA contact kindly gave me figures that supposedly came from blower.
My guess is that he deduced from measurements shown in blower and came to the
conclusion that the driven plate should be either 10/32". or 1/4".  But as the
linings on each side of the metal disk(s) are not less than 1/8" (usually,
anyway) I would guess that is perhaps a risky way for me to order a clutch
driven plate.

So I have ordered 2 plates locally to be made to my specifications & these 2
will cost me less than 1 plate from UK.

The basis of my problem is that I use a diaphragm clutch pressure plate from a
Ford Escort (190mm diameter).  The clutch driven plate for my 5 speed gear box
has 22 splines & the input shaft is exactly the same length as a P-type input
shaft.  With a diaphragm clutch pressure plate, the thickness of the driven
plate is pretty critical, otherwise the whole thing goes "over centre".  And
this is not good.

It is also important if I am to have the 5 speed box easily interchangeable
with the MG/Wolseley crash boxes, that each should have the same thickness
clutch driven plate.

So that solves that problem, the worms have been fed to the fishes.

Incidentally does any one know why gearboxes with a code 150 have a shorter
input shaft than the P & N gearboxes.  (I do know the answer to this one).

Regards

Pip
AUSTRALIA