Re: Engine # 1528A135P

To: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@roundaboutmanor.com>, "'MMM List'" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine # 1528A135P
From: "tom metcalf" <mgtom@bright.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 08:06:19 -0500
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
First, my GUESSS is that the engine in your Coupe' was 57mm bore originally
and as 60 mm PB size overbores became "safe" in the 50's, BMC went straight
to 60. They were sold locally on exchange basis (and painted GREEN) and who
wouldn't want 60mm if it works.

As far as the 'green on 4 seaters, red on 2 seaters' theory goes - this just
never made sense to me. The logistics invloved on an assembly line to sort
engine colors depending on the number of seats involved just never seemed to
warrant the work. Why bother?

As far as shade of red? Mike Allison says dark. Barry Walker says bright. I
used bright red on my PB because that's what I thought was correct then. I
guess I would lean toward darker red now. Could it be the same as the dark
in duo red?

One other point... who knows if ALL MMM engines were the same color? Was MG
Car Co concerned with engine color? If they were all red, was it the same
red throughout the OHC life? Does anybody really have these answers?

If we could only get Ted Turner to COLORIZE all these old factory B&W
photos...

I know we want to get the color right but I'm getting ready to paint my F
engine (darkish red, I guess) and the outside engine color is becomming much
less important to me than the GO FAST GOODIES on the INSIDE!!
V-R-R-O-O-O-O-O-O-M