Drawing trivia

To: mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Subject: Drawing trivia
From: "Nowlan, Chris" <cnowlan@mossmotors.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 09:26:39 -0800
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Guys,

        There have been a couple of recent questions re drawing specs.  In
my part time capacity at Moss, I still have access to hundreds of MG
drawings. Many of the T-type drawings have clear MMM ancestry.

        The front cross tube drawing was originally # EX120/81 and was drawn
on July 31, 1930.  The drawing clearly states that this is for C-type but
has later notes that it was also used for "D1, D2, F, L, and PA" ( What's a
D2??)  The overall length should be 19 3/8 + 1/64" - .00"  The ends were
braised into position.  These cross tubes were also used on TC's and are
available from Moss under # 451-190

        My Radiator cap drawing is dated  8/22/29 and was originally drawn
for the 18/80.  The threads are 2" X 18 TPI.  The outside diameter was 3.250
but my own notes from years ago, indicate that documented original caps on
early TD's were 3.00" od. I'm not certain when they changed and don't recall
ever seeing the larger dia cap.

        I do believe all MMM cars used "MG Car Company" threshold plates.
These were still fitted to my L2.

Cheers,

Chris Nowlan
Product Development