Re: To quench or not to quench

To: <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: To quench or not to quench
From: "Dave & Diana Dwyer" <dmdwyer@optusnet.com.au>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 19:37:06 +1100
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Terry

I have always understood that you heat copper to bright red and quench to
anneal it, ie it behaves the opposite way to steel, which is hardened by
quenching.

This is what I did recently when rebuilding the PA engine and the result was
well annealed pipes which were beautifully malleable when I came to align
the unions to those on the head and block.

To convince yourself get an old piece of copper tube (leftover water pipe or
something) and try it out. You can work-harden it first by bending a few
times to make the test more representative.

Regards

Dave Dwyer
J2, TA, TC