Alu Diff

To: WELTER Norbert <NORBERT.WELTER@airport.etat.lu>, "David.Stansbie@bristol.ac.uk" <David.Stansbie@bristol.ac.uk>
Subject: Alu Diff
From: C Sherriff <Clives_page@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2001 05:05:29 -0500
Cc: "'mg-mmm@autox.team.net'" <mg-mmm@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-mg-mmm@autox.team.net
Message text from David.Stansbie@bristol.ac.uk
>       I'm about to supercharge the J2 which has a standard
        two star diff with an aluminium nosepiece.  I've heard
        that a Morris 8 diff is stronger and fits the J2 banjo
        casing. Has anyone any experience of this or know of a
        source of Morris 8 diffs? Thanks. <
David

There should be no problems that I recall, My racing M Type
tore the Aluminium cages to shreads but the Morris was a direct
replacement and just bolted straight in - it should be the same for
the J2 hole.

Fitted with higher gears than standard I never had any more
trouble with the rear end - diff wise anyway - Tore the centres
out of the M Type wheels a couple weeks later on the start grid!!

But that was the pattern - Develop the engine - gearbox breaks -
Fit a 4 speed box - Prop shaft twists - fix the prop - Diff goes - fix the
diff - wheels break- fix the wheels and its going fast so the
steering is at the limit - fix that and not enough power so
back to the engine...............But lots of wins and great fun
for a few years!

Regards

Clive Sherriff
Oxford UK